Tell us who you are!
My name is Michael Yohannes and I am originally from Cologne, Germany. I am currently working as an HR Business Partner for a German bank in NYC and prior to that in different other HR roles in Frankfurt and London. I am obsessed with soccer and follow it whenever I can.
- Diplom in Business Administration from the University of Cologne (Germany’s second best Business School), Cologne/ Germany
- Executive Masters in International Business from Georgetown McDonough School of Business, Washington D.C. / USA
- Corporate Master of Business Administration from ESADE Business School, Barcelona/ Spain
- Executive Masters in Business Management from Fundação Getulio Vargas, EBAPE Public Policy, Rio de Janeiro/ Brazil
Tell us more about your career steps and other projects you were part of!
After completing my Graduate Program in HR, I took over responsibility for Strategic University Marketing across Germany and Europe. In that role I regularly interacted with senior managers as well as Executives and Board Members, which was an amazing learning experience. Afterwards, I managed an international HR IT project with project members in Frankfurt and London and in a joint effort implemented a new job portal as well as a new recruitment setup for the London office. Following, I had the opportunity to participate in a six-month rotation program in NYC and able to work in one of our investment banking departments, which helped to broaden my professional horizon as I was able to do something outside of HR. Going back to HR, I moved to London and as an International HR Project Manager helped to implement global and local HR Talent Management projects. Currently, I am an HR Business Partner in New York, advising and supporting senior managers on operational and strategic HR topics.
What does “Social Capital” mean to you?
To me Social capital is a broad term that refers, most simply, to the dynamics and relationships within a community. Social capital represents the idea that social networks – who people know and how they interact with each other – hold value and capacity to impact a community and economy. It encompasses the ability to exchange resources and mutual aid, pursue information flows and collective action, and exist with a sense of cohesion and “we” mentality.
What makes you successful in your business/current job?
Constantly striving to improve the status quo as well as being proactive.
What are your aspirations as a 1World Mentor for the 1World Social Capital Program?
Trying to provide helpful advice to talented individuals from all around the world.
What can you offer your 1World Mentee?
- I will help a mentee to designate her strengths and how to build upon them most effectively
- I will help a mentee identify her primary career objectives and create a concrete, achievable plan-of-action
- I will help the mentee create a list of target individuals and companies whom she should aim to connect with, based on her interests and goals
What does your ideal 1World Mentee look like?
- Committed and willing to work
- Someone who welcomes constructive criticism
What are your aspirations for your 1World Mentee?
- Increased level of confidence and direction
- New energy for pursuing career goals